2010/08/09

How can I retrieve photos from a formatted SD memory card? (I've tried different softwares)?


I only had few photos (maybe 20) in the memory card, so I thought this should be a simply task, which hasn't been.

First I tried that Stellar photo recovery software, it scanned EVERYTHING from all kinds of sources and some images said "file corrupted" and I cannot view a preview - then I checked some online forums and I realized even if the scan is successful, if I want to SAVE the recovered photos to my computer I have to pay for the license. BTW it did not recover ANY of the photos from the mem card, but it did recover some other useless images that I don't even know where they came from.

I'm now using Recuva software and it's still scanning after I pressed the "scan from all drives" option, since when I pressed "scan from drive E (removable)" it "did not find any files" - which is so funny because the mem card IS in drive E removable disk. This software is supposedly free to scan AND use (meaning to save?).

I don't know what the problem is. I simply formatted the memory card so the images MUST still be there even though it said in my camera that ''formatting will delete'' because from what I read.. formatting does not delete the actual file, which is really just hidden there somewhere.

The reason why I chose to format was because I believe the memory card got a virus from my laptop, which got it from my co-worker's usb, which he claimed was already cleaned from the 70 viruses it got. Yeah, what an idiot because he did not bother asking me permission if he could use his usb on my laptop >:( btw my laptop was already all rebooted and cleaned up (unfortunately the card was already infected and I just formatted like, awhile back, in desperate measures to recover the photos in it).

I'm not really that knowledgeable about computers so pls. help me out. Thank u in advance. sorry about the rant.


Irina K said: 
You should try to recover your files from SD card again with Easy Drive Data Recovery software:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyDriveDataRecovery/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

too.muchtv said:

Ajosf said:
First of all please make sure that the virus in the memory card are cleaned off. Sometimes the virus will make your photo files hidden or deleted.

If your photos are hidden, just use some antivirus to clean the virus and your photos will be visible again.

If they are deleted by the virus, it's still recoverable even if you have formatted the sd card. As you know formatting won't meke photos files deleted permanently. You said you have tried a few photo recovery software. I have no idea whether you have chosen the right one because different photo recovery programs have different preferences and recovery abilities. Here is Top 6 Free Photo Recovery Software, it's worth for your try.
http://www.disk-utilities.com/articles/top-free-photo-recovery-software-to-get-data-back.html

No comments:

Post a Comment